Sunday, June 26, 2011

The age of reason (or not...)

Me-Made June, Day 26
I mentioned my son's 21st birthday yesterday; perhaps a background explanation of what that means in this country would be helpful, sorry.
The simple truth is... not very much any more, actually.  The age of 21 was once upon a time considered the age of adulthood, and the age that one "received the key to the door".
I say "once upon a time" because those concepts have gone in Australia, and even before my lifetime... When a kid hits 18 they are an adult in Australia.  At the age of 18, Aussies can vote, drink, smoke, get married without parental consent (allowed at the age of 16 with parental consent) and are considered to have achieved legal responsibility independent from their parents. 
Even the key-to-the-door idea is completely outdated now, when kiddies as young as 14 often need to have a house-key for various reasons... so the age of 21 and its subsequent big party are just one of those hoary traditions that have been kept up in Australia for no more good reason that it seems a good excuse for another party.  And Aussies need very little justification for keeping another milestone on the agenda that requires another party...


Re today's ensemble; I know I look terribly unstylish, but for explanations please see previous Me-Made June Sundays and attached musings on not caring about looking tres fly on those days...  I almost threw out these jeans after I saw how awful they looked the last time I donned them.  But then I wondered whether they could still function as a leggings-substitute for casual winter-y days... well, the colour!  I do so love this light neutral stone colour (petering out lamely)  So at the last moment they were saved from the Salvoes bag.  But I can see this outfit is somewhat... strange.
Hmmm, thinks; have definite problems tossing old and unflattering stuff out...  the explanation for my too-large wardrobe becomes all too apparent.


Details:
Dress; Simplicity 3745 with modifications, white dotted cotton voile and crocheted lace, details here, and to see this dress styled in 6 different ways go here
Cardigan; self drafted and part of a twin set, leopard print slightly fluffy jersey, details here, and to see this twinset styled in 6 different ways go here
Jeans; Burda 7863 with modifications, details here
Socks; not seen but hand-knit by me, details here
Shoes; Country Road


below: we found this salutation on the beach today

No comments:

Post a Comment